Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Christmas Ornament Cake Baubles!

A couple of weeks ago I made some Christmas ornament cake baubles. I was overwhelmed by questions about how I made them so I figured it would be easier to post a pictorial.  I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to make these cute little cakes but this is just my way of doing it. Easy and effective :)  Hope you enjoy.
 
 You don`t need the Wilton mini ball pan, but if you have one, it makes it a bit easier.  Bake your favorite cake recipe but try to make a dense cake.  Dense cake will hold it`s shape better and will be easier for you to decorate. 
 Once the cakes cool, I freeze them so they are easier to handle and decorate.  When you are ready to decorate, remove them from the freezer and get straight to work so they don't thaw out.

Level off the cakes and trim off any crusts.  Work quickly because these little cakes will warm up quickly and you want them to be cold as possible for the next steps. 

 Ice the middle with your favorite icing or ganache.  I prefer something that will either crust or get solid when refrigerated.  It gets really messy icing the whole thing so be prepared.  Place the top and bottom together and ice the whole cake.

They don`t have to look perfect at this point but try to get them as smooth as you can.  At this point, press down a bit to make a flat bottom. Place them in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. 

 Roll out your colored fondant as you would for any cake.  I like to roll my fondant about 1/8" thick.  I like using my own homemade marshmallow fondant and you can get the recipe here.

 Cover the bauble as you would any cake and wrap fondant under.

 You can use a fondant smoother if you like or just work quickly with your hands.  Once it's nice and smooth, place into the refrigerator while you continue working. 

 Take a small piece of fondant (about a 1" ball) and knead in a small amount of Tylose powder.  This will make it dry harder and faster.

 Roll the tylose fondant into a 1/2" roll and cut two pieces about 1/2" long.  Roll out a small piece as thin as you can and make two small circles for the hook loop.

 If you like you can indent the hook thingy (no idea what it's called!)

 Stick the loop on top with a dab of water.  I like to use a water brush but use any clean brush you normally use in your decorating. (as if you didn't know, right?) :)

 Now you're ready to decorate the bauble cake.  It should be nice and cold. You can do all kinds of different and wonderful things but I am showing a simple way of decorating them with snowflake plunger cutters.  Roll out white fondant and cut I large, 2 medium and 8 or 9 small snowflakes. 

 Start by attaching the large snowflake on center of the top of the bauble with a touch of water.

Attach the remaining snowflakes in an even random pattern.

 Attach the hook to the top of the bauble in the center of the large snowflake.

 Your cake bauble is now ready for the finishing touch!! That wasn't so hard, was it?

 I like to airbrush the sheen on my cakes but if you don't have an airbrush, you can apply luster dust with a brush or purchase canned luster.  I like to use silver because it looks great on top of all kinds of colors.

Voila!! Christmas Ornament Cake Bauble is complete and ready to be served.  I know, my plate is horrible but imagine how gorgeous it would look served on beautiful glass plate!

Hope this pictorial is helpful to you.  If you end up making them, drop by on Facebook and let me know how you make out.  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

-Anna

2 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.